Taking steps against workplace slips
GRIP is a footwear slip resistance rating scheme developed by
HSE to actively reduce slips.
Slips and trips are the most common cause of major workplace
injury to employees* (as reported by employers), 2020/21
The HSE GRIP rating scheme uses rigorous, scientific testing to
measure and grade the slip resistance of footwear.
GRIP will enable manufacturers to;
- Clearly show the level of slip resistance at point of
- Improve slip resistance during the design and development
- Gain competitive advantage over non-rated footwear.
GRIP will help footwear buyers
- Choose the right level of slip resistance for their
- Ensure maximum staff protection against slips,
- Reduce slipping accidents,
- Reduce business costs associated with slip-related
In the video below, HSE's Pedestrian Safety specialist Mark
Liddle explains the science behind the GRIP scheme's footwear slip
resistance testing. Can't see the video? View it here.
Download your copy of the GRIP Scheme Handbook.
*Source: Health and safety statistics 2021
Back to the top