Personal Protective Equipment
From a hard hat to a full ensemble, it is vital that you select
and use the right Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to make sure
you get full protection. PPE is the last line of defence against
many hazards. Getting it wrong can make it ineffective, and could
result in injury, ill-health or, potentially, death.
Our PPE specialists can help you to choose the correct PPE for
the job. We have extensive experience of working with a range of
industries and carrying out research and investigations for
With our knowledge of PPE issues and our understanding of
ergonomics, physiology and human behaviour, we can offer you
bespoke solutions tailored to your working environment. We strive
to make sure that workers are safe, whilst still being able to
perform their job well.
How can we help?
- Assess your workplace hazards and provide bespoke advice on
effective PPE solutions
- Help you choose the correct respiratory protection for your
- Advise on the suitability of protective gloves for a specific
- Check that combinations of PPE methods work effectively
- Suggest methods to improve your PPE
- Assess the performance of people and PPE under a range of
stressful conditions, such as high or low temperature, high
humidity or water pressure
- Evaluate how the PPE used affects wearers' comfort and ability
to do their work
We can provide cost-effective training tailored to your
needs - either bespoke or on our standard courses. Training is
available both for those who have to use PPE and those
responsible for specifying and managing PPE use. All our fit
test work is provided by Fit2Fit
accredited fit test providers.
"Nothing could have gone any smoother;
the trainers were fantastic and brimmed with technical knowledge
but also gave down to earth 'working' solutions that can be applied
in the workplace. In one word: fantastic.
Richard Browne, Care UK
I would thoroughly recommend [this] great
organisation! Please keep providing training, there is no service
and training provider like [HSE]."
Our PPE team also provides:
- Testing of Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE) to European
standards (gas and particulates)
- A range of RPE testing including flame, mechanical
strength, measurement of air-flow rate and bespoke filter
- Protection and practical performance testing on volunteers,
using ethics committee approved procedures
- Assessment PPE performance in the workplace
||The British Safety Industry Federation
(BSiF), along with HSE and other industry stakeholders, have
developed the Fit2Fit
RPE Fit Test Providers Accreditation Scheme. Membership of the
scheme is designed to confirm the competency of any person
performing facepiece fit testing.
Watch Nick Baxter, PPE and RPE specialist at HSE's Science and
Research Centre, explain the factors that can compromise the
effectiveness of respiratory protective face masks.
Can't see the video?
View it here.
To discuss your PPE requirements please contact:
Nicholas Baxter +44 (0)203 028
Back to the top