HSL is to run a 5 days course on Biosafety - working practices and managing safety at Containment Level 3.
13 - 17 May 2019
This course will allow attendees to achieve a greater
understanding of the work carried out within a microbiological
Containment Level 3 facility, the equipment and personal protective
equipment (PPE) used and the concepts and philosophy of working
with biological agents at that level of containment. It will
also cover the design, management, maintenance, testing and
legislative requirements associated with Containment Level 3
laboratory facilities. It will provide the skills and confidence to
deal with accidents and incidents. The course is designed in line
with HSE's newly published guidance 'Management and operation of microbiological
The course will be a combination of presentations and
scenario-based exercises, as well as practical sessions in HSL's
Containment Level 3 laboratory suite, to provide a full
understanding of the design, operation and use of such
What the course will cover
The course will cover the following:
- Relevant legislation, guidance and industry best practice;
- The role of HSE and the HSE inspector;
- Biological agent categorisation and risk assessment;
- Biosafety management including training/competence,
supervision, maintenance, working with contractors and
- Containment Level 3 facility design, working practices (eg
transfer and transport of biological agents, handling of liquid
cultures) and use of laboratory equipment (eg microbiological
safety cabinets, centrifuges);
- Human factors in the context of approaches to working at high
containment and investigating near misses and incidents;
- Use of PPE including respiratory protection equipment;
- Waste management, sterilisation/disinfection and fumigation
- Dealing with and investigating near misses, incidents and
- HSE Inspection & investigation processes including how to
prepare for an HSE inspection
- Common enforcement topics;
- Issues that are likely to trigger HSE enforcement action
including the factors taken into account and how an inspector forms
Who should attend?
- Laboratory staff planning to work at Containment Level 3;
- Refresher training for current Containment Level 3 laboratory
- Safety Advisors/Biological Safety Officers; or
- Laboratory managers of Containment Level 3 facilities.
Previous experience of working at Containment Level 2 is
Who will present the course?
The course will be delivered by:
- Members of the Microbiology Research Team with more than
40 years combined experience in occupational health and safety
including working with Hazard Group 3 pathogens;
- An HSE microbiology specialist with responsibility for
inspection of high containment laboratories to provide an insight
into regulatory and enforcement approaches;
- Human factors specialists;
- PPE specialists;
- Ventilation systems specialists.
The course will be run at the HSL laboratory in the spa town of
Buxton in the heart of the Peak District and has good links to
mainline train stations and Manchester International Airport.
We can also offer bespoke courses based on the above or other
related courses, e.g., refresher courses for laboratory managers,
which can be conducted either at Buxton or at your site.
The cost of the course is £2,450 per person (includes
course notes, lunch and refreshments).
Please note the invoice option is not available within 4
weeks of the course date, or for overseas customers. If you
are selecting the invoice option for payment, it will be mandatory
to input a purchase order/reference number as we are unable to
process booking forms without this.
For further dates and additional information email: email@example.com
or contact the Training & Conferences Unit
at HSL directly on +44 (0)203 028 3704.
Back to HSE Health & Safety Training Courses