Are you truly leading on health and
Analysis of major incidents such as Buncefield, Texas City, and
Deep Water Horizon shows that failures of leadership are a common
The course that leaders set for an organisation and the
influence they have over their staff should not be underestimated.
When incidents occur, the regulatory investigation will look at
responsibilities well beyond the immediate aftermath and this can
have serious repercussions at board level.
What is leadership in the health and safety
The way we lead has significant influence on our
Where we put our effort; the sincerity of what we say; the
authenticity of our actions - all of these paint a picture that
reveals our underlying attitude.
Do your positive words and intentions always match your
Consistent leadership excellence contributes to outstanding
organisational health and safety performance, and answers the
- What does it mean to lead?
- Does my organisation have a consistent approach to health and
- Am I confident in my ability to lead others to achieve health
and safety cultural excellence?
- What does it take to be an effective, inspirational and
competent leader for health and safety?
- How can I reflect on my own leadership style and my
organisation towards becoming an exemplar?
Leadership excellence delivers measureable
As a result of working with us your leaders will:
- recognise the importance of leadership for improving health and
safety performance, and their legal responsibilities as a
- know what influences decision making processes and subsequent
- understand HSL's model for effective health and safety
- be able to reflect on their own health and safety leadership
style (strengths and development areas).
- be aware of the importance of getting out and about often
enough and at the right time.
- discover how asking the right questions about the right things
in the right way can enhance health and safety performance.
- appreciate the impact of leadership on team cohesion and
functioning, in particular the importance of effective
How can I achieve leadership excellence?
As frontrunners in the field of health and safety leadership
research, HSL can help you at every step of your journey to
Our Health and Safety Leadership Excellence
Model, encompassess the distinct values and competencies
that make an effective Health and Safety Leader, covering
four key areas:
- Me as a health and safety leader
- My organisation's risk profile
- Human strengths and limitations in health and safety
- Team performance for health and safety
Working with us through each of these factors, and examining
both yourself and your colleagues, enables you to assess and
identify areas for improvement.
How HSL can help YOU
HSL's team of organisational performance experts can:
- help you understand the roles and responsibilities of leaders
in line with current regulation
- help you develop your individual skills as health and safety
- help you in driving a consistent approach to health and safety
leadership within your business
Improving your approach to leadership and working towards
excellence is a behaviour change challenge that HSL's psychologists
can support you with.
As a result of our research and experience we thoroughly
understand leadership issues, and are very familiar with the
supporting scientific knowledge in this area. We offer:
Health and Safety Leadership Excellence
The first stage for leaders looking to improve is a masterclass
delivered in-house to your senior team. We work with you to
understand your leadership style, helping you to identify which
style is the most appropriate for you and for your company.
You will leave the Masterclass with an understanding of how to
enhance your own leadership skills, influence the leadership skills
of others and, by demonstrating good health and safety leadership,
positively influence your organisation's health and safety
Individual Leader Coaching
Having completed the masterclass, if you wish to take your
approach to health and safety leadership to the next level, our
involvement can be tailored to the developmental needs of
individual leaders. We have found this is most effective when done
through one-to-one coaching sessions.
Organisational Leadership Assessment
If you feel confident in your leadership team and approach, but
would like an independent expert review, we can undertake a
leadership excellence assessment.
We do this by looking at performance indicators, outcome from
staff survey or Safety Climate Tool assessments, and by speaking
directly to staff using structured interviews and/or focus
We will analyse the collected data and provide an executive report
on the key findings, highlighting any areas for further
Comparing this output with the Senior Team's perceptions can be
reassuring or, in some cases, enlightening.
Get in touch:
If you would like to discuss with one of our organisational
performance experts, please contact Jane Hopkinson firstname.lastname@example.org
or 0203 028 2008