You are not logged in

EAB Frequently Asked Questions

In order to ensure that applications can be progressed to certification before the transition period ends on 31 December 2022, you must submit your application by 30 June 2022 at the latest.

The UK-EAB is aware of the announcement made by BEIS on Monday 20th June. We are currently reviewing the implications of this announcement with UK government colleagues and will be updating our website and frequently asked questions in due course.

1. What type of products can the UK EAB issue UKCA certificates for?

The UK Explosives Approved Body (EAB) is the UK Approved Body for the conformity assessment of all civil use explosives. Civil use explosives fall into one of the following categories:

  • blasting explosives
  • detonating cords
  • detonators
  • propellants

2. If I am importing and assembling materials in Great Britain, does each item require a UKCA mark?

If individual components are placed on the GB market in 2023, they will require the UKCA marking. However, a final product can be placed on the market in 2023, which requires the UKCA marking, and can include CE marked components, if those components were placed on the GB market before 31 December 2022.

3. If a civil use explosive product has a CE mark, does it also need a UKCA/UK(NI) mark to be placed on the UK market?

In most circumstances any goods being placed on the GB market will require a UKCA mark from an accredited Approved Body from 1 January 2023. Product legislation will regulate the relationship between component marking and assembled/finished product markings; i.e. whether each individual component needs to be marked and whether the overall product also requires marking.

This applies to civil explosives and so you will need to apply to the EAB for conformity assessment of your products. In any application you may submit certification documents issued by the EU Notified Body, including test data and reports; we will assess them and may have some additional questions. Once we are satisfied that the product is compliant with UK requirements, we will issue the UKCA mark.

Products being placed on the market in Northern Ireland can have either a CE mark issued by an EU Notified Body or a UKNI mark from an accredited UK Approved Body from 1 January 2023 (this known as a UK(NI)+CE mark); see Question 13 for more details.

4. Can you provide the cost for an application?

Prices for most activities can be found in Annex D of the Information Handbook [pdf, 545 kB].

For products that have an EU CE mark, it is not possible to provide a cost before assessing the application due to the range of different products on the market. Costs are dependent upon the complexity of the product, the information supplied by the EU Notified Body and what additional work the EAB will need to undertake.

We therefore advise that applicants complete an application form for one product type with all the supporting documentation required (Drawings and specifications, CE Certificates, test reports from the Notified Body, Quality Module Assessment reports) and we will then provide an estimate of costs.

5. If a manufacturer is based outside the UK without representation within the UK, can they still apply for a UKCA certification? If so, who is responsible for the documentation and record upkeep?

A manufacturer from outside the UK can apply for a UKCA mark and they will have the responsibilities required by the Explosive Regulations 2014 (as amended). A manufacturer can appoint an Authorised Representative who can undertake some of the required responsibilities, but the Authorised Representative must be based in the UK. For more information, visit the HSE pages on UKCA/UK(NI) marking of explosives.

6. What is meant by an Authorised Representative and what are the requirements for this role?

The delegation of tasks from the manufacturer to the authorised representative must be explicit and set out in writing, in particular to define the contents and limits of the representative's tasks. The tasks that may be delegated to the authorised representative according to UK legislation are of an administrative nature and, therefore, the manufacturer may not delegate the measures necessary to ensure that the manufacturing process assures compliance of the products nor delegate the drawing up of technical documentation, unless otherwise provided for. An authorised representative cannot modify the product on their own initiative in order to bring it into line with the applicable UK legislation.

Where the manufacturer appoints an authorised representative, the mandate shall at least allow the authorised representative to perform the following tasks:

  • keep the UK Declaration of Conformity and the technical documentation at the disposal of the national surveillance authority and cooperate with them at their request
  • upon a reasoned request from a competent national authority, provide that authority with all the information and documentation necessary to demonstrate the conformity of a product
  • cooperate with the competent national authority, at their request, on any action taken to eliminate the risks posed by products covered by their mandate. Depending on the conformity assessment procedure and the UK legislation in question, the authorised representative can also, for instance, be appointed to perform tasks such as:
    • affix the UKCA or UK(NI)+CE Marking (and other relevant markings) and the approved body's number to the product
    • draw up and sign the UK Declaration of Conformity

7. What are the expected time frames for issuing a certificate for products already possessing a CE mark?

This is normally 12 weeks from receipt of all requested documentation, but as the volume of applications is expected to be high, we strongly encourage you to apply for the UKCA mark as soon as you can in order to be ready for the changes from 1 Jan 2023. Visit the EAB home page for further information.

8. The product already holds a CE mark but we do not want to create a new label, can we display both the UKCA and CE marks together?

Both marks can be applied, if required, as long as they are both clear and do not obscure each other. A Declaration of Conformity needs to accompany both marks.

9. Does the UK EAB issue certificates for pyrotechnics?

The EAB is the UK Approved Body for the conformity assessment of civil use explosives. We do not cover the conformity assessment of pyrotechnics. Queries regarding pyrotechnics should be directed to

10. I have been issued a UKCA certificate, how should I present the UKCA mark?

Until the 31 Dec 2023, you can apply UKCA marking via a sticky label or an accompanying document for most goods.

From 1 Jan 2024, UKCA marking must be applied directly on to the product unless legislations allows otherwise.

For information on using the UKCA mark, please refer to the guidance on GOV.UK.

11. Where can I find information on how to submit an application?

Information on how to apply for a UKCA certificate and the application form can be found on the EAB Guidance page.

12. Where can I find information about placing a product on the market after 1 January 2021?

Information regarding placing a product on the market can be found on the HSE pages about UKCA/UK(NI) marking of explosives.

13. What is the procedure for importing into Northern Ireland?

Further information can be found on the relevant  GOV.UK pages.

14. I have been approved to use a UK(NI)+CE mark, how should I present it on my product?

For information on using the UK(NI)+CE mark, please refer to the GOV.UK page on using the UKNI marking.

For further information on applications for UK certificates, please refer to the EAB home page.

Back to the top