Construction is a high-risk industry. While only about 5% of UK
employees work in the sector, it accounts for 27% of work-related
fatalities, and 10% of reported major injuries.
Construction projects can be delivered safely, however, as was
proven in the construction of the London 2012 Olympic Park - a
project in which over 40,000 people were involved. We worked with
the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) to deliver one of the largest
construction projects ever, safely, with an accident frequency rate
far less than the building industry average, and less even than the
average for all industries. There were no work-related fatalities
during the construction of the London Olympic Park, helping to make
the 2012 Olympics the safest Games on record.
Why choose HSL?
- We are independent, and our staff are world-leaders in their
areas of expertise. By working with us you are able to tap into the
latest thinking on health and safety risks in the construction
- We are at the forefront of understanding and improving
organisational safety culture, to prevent major incidents caused by
- We investigate over 200 serious incidents for the Health and
Safety Executive (HSE), including in the construction sector. This
means that we are uniquely placed to understand why accidents
happen on building sites, and how they can be prevented. You
benefit from the real hands-on experience of our multi-disciplinary
- We work closely with the regulator, meaning that the solutions
we offer comply with current legislation and follow best
How can we help?
At HSL, we tailor all our health and safety solutions to the
individual needs of each client. In the construction sector, we
- Measure noise and other environmental factors, and help to
reduce their impact on employees and the wider public.
- Assess hazardous substances such as silica dust, wood dust,
paint, adhesives and resins.
- Detect and assess biohazards, including anthrax spores, on
- Give advice on appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE),
and test to make sure it is fit-for-purpose.
To discuss how we can help you with any health or safety related
issue, contact our Principal Occupational Hygienist, Chris
Telephone +44 (0)1298 218537; Email: email@example.com
Back to Your business
Back to the top